Alternative Treatments for Anxiety and Depression
Suffering from anxiety and depression is disruptive to one’s physical health, as well as to their relationships and work life. When you have anxiety, the body’s stress response is out of balance and over-worked. The most common conventional treatment, which focuses on the symptoms, is to prescribe SSRI’s for depression, and benzodiazapines for anxiety and its related symptom of insomnia. Benzodiazapines and anti-depressants further the brain imbalance of neurotransmitters…the medications actually add another layer to the disease. There are alternative treatments for anxiety and depression that are widely used and effective.
When going to a naturopathic physician, the focus is on finding the CAUSE of the mental/emotional imbalance. The areas that I look at include:
1. Lifestyle – how much of your daily life is stimulating? (coffee, sugar, TV, technology)
2. Neurotransmitters – Serotonin and GABA are calming. Glutamate, Adrenaline, and Norepinephrine
are exciting to the nervous system.
3. Digestive Health – Imbalances in the microbiome produces bacterial metabolites that cross the
blood brain barrier.
4. Genetic pathways – DNA testing and gene therapy is a cutting edge way to treat the underlying cause of disease and symptoms.
5. Mental outlook – According to Viktor Frankl in his book Man’s Search for Meaning, one’s attitude can make or break your day.
Once the cause is determined, the appropriate treatment will be implemented. By treating the cause(s) of disease, the symptoms resolve themselves and the use of chemical substances that have side effects and addiction properties can be avoided.